2.23.2008

I approve: my trusty Riding Boots

The image “http://www.bussbuss.com/images/getshorty.jpg” cannot be displayed, because it contains errors.
My current Mon-Fri schedule requires that I essentially live in black spandex pilates pants, white v-neck Hanes t-shirts, and underarmour. Therefore, I cherish the weekends when I can finally dry my hair, put on some real clothes, and LOOK HOT to go out. For days like this (slushy snow, 28 degrees) there's nothing more comforting than capping a killer outfit with the perfect leather boots.

I have approved riding boots ever since I bought my first pair almost 2 years ago. Secretly, I hope they never go out of style, and for practicality reasons, I doubt they will. The reason I am re-approving these now is because they are both stylish, comfortable AND, most importantly, WARM. (To up the warmth factor even more, I sometimes wear wool socks inside my boots when I go out...those stumbles from the bars downtown to my west campus home in the early morn are pretty chilly.) Boots are also a wonderful alternative to heels. I already don't trust myself to teeter on 4" stilleto heels, let alone trust my inebriated self. Boots, flat or heeled, are a lot easier on those precious ankles, plus they keep your calves a lot warmer if you opt for tights. (don't get me started, I could blog all-night long about tights, I love them so much.)

My particular pair of riding boots are Franco Sarto, purchased for half their obnoxous $400 asking price from the magical Nordstrom Rack (which has a HUGE selection of Joe's Jeans, if you're in the market) in Schaumburg, Illinois. THE name, however, in leather riding boots has to be Frye. They are available at almost all large department stores, specialty boutiques -think activeendeavors.com, shopbop.com, urbanoutfitters.com- and of course, fryeboots.com. (their engineer style is featured to the right)

"The Frye Company is the oldest continuously operated shoe company in the United States. The Company was founded in 1863 by John A. Frye, a well to do shoemaker from England. John A. Frye ran the business for nearly 50 years. After his death in 1911, his family continued to run the company until 1945.

Frye products have a long and illustrious history; Frye boots were worn by soldiers for both sides of America's Civil War, soldiers in the Spanish- American war, and for Teddy Roosevelt and his Rough Riders. When home-steading drew adventurous New England families to the West during the mid and late 1800's many of the pioneers wore Frye Boots for the long journey.

Frye's current Harness Boots are rooted in tradition and continue to draw influence from the Cavalry. In 1938, on a trip to Washington, D.C., John A. Frye's grandson and namesake met a U.S. Navy Admiral who confided that he had trouble finding the Wellington style he liked so much. As a favor, John agreed to make him a pair. Frye continued to fill requests for these boots through the second World War. During World War II, Frye supplied thousands of servicemen with Frye's Wellingtons, known as Jet Boots, by mail order . Jet Boots traveled the world on feet of U.S. servicemen during the war. Even General Patton wore a pair.

In the 1960's, Frye reintroduced the Campus Boot, from its 1860
original, featuring a bulky toe and chunky heel that came to epitomize the attitude and the style of the 60's and 70's. There was nothing like the "new" Frye Boot on the market, and consumers began to demand "Original Frye's." When searching for items to represent the America of the 60's, the Smithsonian Institute chose a pair of Frye Boots, which remain on display today.

Today Frye's classic Harness Boot holds a place in American culture.
The Harness Boot has been pictured in fashion spreads internationally and enjoys strong sales in the United States, Europe and Japan." (fryeboots.com)

These Frye Sunny Tall Cuff Boots, from Urban Outfitters, rock. Butter yellow is my favorite color, and combining it with soft leather is like having the perfect purse on your feet- ie: Ambika's Kooba butter yellow bag...mmmm

Sweet. For a more updated version of the riding boot, however, you could opt for different material, like suede, or a more slouchy look. Micheal Kors combined both of these in his MICHAEL Michael Kors Harness Slouch Boot, currently sold out here. Keep checking though, maybe they'll get more in soon.

Chinese Laundry makes a fabulous tall suede boot in a variety of colors as well...it's quickly becoming a classic. I, personally, adore the grey (DON'T COPY ME) but the red and plum are equally fierce. These boots are a bit more attainable as far as prices go, $99 compared to Frye, Kors, and Jeffrey Campbell's prices that are usually upwards of $200.

Okay, I need to stop with all the riding boot talk, my trusty Chestnut Sundance II Uggs (boots with da furrrrr) are getting jealous.


No comments: